Advancements in infertility technology now allows intended parents to safely select the sex of their unborn child. While the majority of anticipating parents would be happy with either a boy or girl, in some instances an individual or couple may want to predetermine the gender.
Sex selection is an option for those who want to avoid passing sex-linked genetic disorders to their children, such as Duchenne muscular dystrophy or hemophilia, a bleeding disorder that slows the blood clotting process. Sex selection also might appeal to parents who have children of one sex and want to have a child of the other sex, or what is sometimes referred to as “family balancing.” Through Pre-implantation Genetic Screening (PGS) in conjunction with In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) process, doctors can determine the sex of the embryo, as well as its health to increase the likelihood of a successful pregnancy. PGS is a comprehensive chromosome screening that examines embryos for chromosomal abnormalities. All 24 chromosomes (22 autosomes plus X and Y) are examined to evaluate any gains or losses of chromosomes, also known as aneuploidy. PGS is almost 100-percent accurate (99.9%) at determining the sex of an embryo.
In addition to identifying the sex of an embryo, PGS increases the likelihood to achieve a healthy baby as it:
- Reduces the likelihood of miscarriage and increases likelihood of successful implantation by identifying healthy embryos
- Decreases the likelihood of abnormal pregnancy
- Reduces the lost of time and incurred additional costs with multiple IVF cycles
- Identifies clinical alterations include extra copy of chromosome 21 (Down Syndrome), translocations and/or inversions
The steps involved with PGS are as follows:
- Normal In Vitro Fertilization treatments will occur where eggs will be collected and fertilized.
- Embryos will be given the chance to grow three days or five days.
- Cells will be removed via a biopsy procedure by the embryologist.
- Chromosomes are analyzed by our expert scientists to evaluate duplications and/or deletions.
Reproductive Sciences Medical Center has the capability to perform the analysis on-site. Our embryologists have over 40 years of combined experience that you can count on in the area of Pre-implantation Genetic Screening.